Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Rebels run roughshod on GHV

Clark’s hat trick helps No. 9 G-R get back on track

May 5, 2013
Ross Thede - Central Iowa Press , Reinbeck Courier

REINBECK - Setting the tone from the get-go was all the Gladbrook-Reinbeck boys' soccer team could do to erase the bitter taste left from Thursday's heartbreaking loss to Waverly-Shell Rock.

After rallying back from a 2-0 deficit only to lose on an own-goal with 79 seconds left in double overtime two nights earlier on the same pitch, the Class 1A No. 9-ranked Rebels bounced back with vehemence and vigor in Saturday's 8-0 victory over Garner-Hayfield/Ventura.

Having already routed the Cardinals 5-1 during the Hudson Tournament two weeks prior, Gladbrook-Reinbeck (7-2) put four goals on the board in the first 12 minutes and coasted to the shutout win.

Article Photos

Gladbrook-Reinbeck junior forward Chase Clark (10) blasts away from just inside the penalty area for his second of three goals during the Class 1A No. 9-ranked Rebels’ 8-0 rout of Garner-Hayfield/Ventura on Saturday in Reinbeck. Defending on the play for the visiting Cardinals is Mark Wellik (6).

Junior forward Chase Clark tallied a hat trick in the first 12 minutes, junior midfielder Dustin Dinsdale had two goals and three assists, and freshman goalkeeper Josh Cooley charted his fourth shutout as the youthful Rebels ran away with this one.

"We're trying to get better regardless of who we're playing, but we lost a bad one in double-overtime Thursday night," said G-R head coach Kirk Dinsdale. "Overall I was satisfied with that against a 2A school of that caliber. We were down 2-0, we came all the way back and the kids never quit.

"You're not sure what you're going to get after a game like that, but today it's good we got this one in. We were strong right away, we got up and went from there."

Fact Box

Gladbrook-Reinbeck 8, Garner-Hayfield/Ventura 0

At Reinbeck

First Half

G-R - Chase Clark (Dustin Dinsdale), 2:30.

G-R - D. Dinsdale, 7:31.

G-R - Clark (D. Dinsdale), 8:40.

G-R - Clark, 11:31.

G-R - Austin Harris (Wyatt Swanson), 15:02.

G-R - D. Dinsdale (Colton Dinsdale), 16:47.

G-R - Bennett Petersen, 26:21.

Second Half

G-R - Vasya Strohbehn (D. Dinsdale), 65:49.

Goalkeepers - GHV: Nathan Hrubes (17 shots-10 saves), Caleb Ploeger (6-5); G-R:

Josh Cooley (5-5).

Fouls - GHV 4, G-R 2.

Corner Kicks - GHV 3, G-R 7.

Yellow Cards - none.

The Rebels applied the hustle that sparked their comeback against Waverly-Shell Rock to the opening minutes of Saturday's match. Marco Barron got free with just the Garner-Hayfield/Ventura goalkeeper to beat, and his shot was saved but trickled toward the goal line just outside the right post.

Dustin Dinsdale got a right and then a left toe on the ball, leaving it on the doorstep for Clark to finish it off just 2:30 in.

Dinsdale then collected a long lead pass and put one past GHV keeper Nathan Hrubes at the 32:29 mark, and Clark did the same with a left-footed laser on a pass from Dinsdale just 69 seconds later.

Clark chalked up his third goal of the match to put the Rebels ahead 4-0 in the 12th minute, putting back a rebound of his own stopped shot.

Gladbrook-Reinbeck substituted freely throughout the match after the opening four-goal spurt, but the visiting Cardinals (1-6) could not keep up. Austin Harris rocketed a perfect left-footed shot from the left flank to the upper 90 in the far corner, netting his first goal of the season despite Hrubes getting his glove on the shot.

Dustin Dinsdale turned a Colton Dinsdale throw-in into his second goal of the game, diving from just inside the penalty mark to convert a header into a 6-0 Rebel advantage less than 17 minutes in.

Bennett Petersen finished off the first-half onslaught with his 40-yard shot that sailed just beyond the fingertips of a leaping Hrubes, clipped the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the back of the net.

With 14:11 remaining in the second half, Vasya Strohbehn put the final touches on the Rebel rout for his second goal of the season on an assist from Dustin Dinsdale. Strohbehn's first career goal came in G-R's 5-1 win over the Cardinals during the Hudson Tournament.

The Rebels suffered their only other loss that day to 2A No. 4 Webster City, 2-1.

"I've been happy with how things are going, I wasn't sure how things were going to go this season," Coach Dinsdale said. "We were treating it a little bit like a rebuilding year, even though I don't like to use that word, but we were anticipating it being like a rebuilding year but right now our expectations have changed."

Gladbrook-Reinbeck, with only three seniors on its roster and six players who also run track, won four straight between their losses.

The Rebels, who went 5-10 a season ago, are hoping to have returned to their winning ways for good after Thursday's disheartening defeat.

"I am surprised considering the year we had last year," said Dustin Dinsdale. "We've got a good group of guys and we've got a lot of heart.

"It felt good to get some confidence back today. We're young, we're talented, but we just aren't there quite as far as we need to be. Playing these big schools will help get us ready for the postseason."

The Rebels play their fourth straight home game on Tuesday, welcoming Decorah for a 5 p.m. contest.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web